Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Run #22: 5 miles, personal record, and Mihkel gets comfused.


Mihkel here, with my confession for the day: I am BAD at running math. You all know what I'm talking about... pace changing on a sliding scale, goal time at different speeds, walk/run pace averages over a mile...

I remember when training for our half, as I ran further and further distances, I would feel my brain shift. Not gears, but it felt as if my brain moved through space and time... like a bad b-movie special effect. It was there, but not there.
This just leads to bad things: Mainly not being able to figure out pace and goals for a run, which when you question, leads to doubt. Am I over training, am i under training?
Bad maths these are.
Its much like measuring something with your hands apart, then moving across the room and comparing it to something else. We have all done it, more often than we will ever admit. But its very similar. Once you get to the other side of the room, you have to ask yourself, just how right are you, and that then leads to doubt.
I need to get back to training my brain to keep it with me through runs.

I love running, I love the great conversations Mel and I have, the plethora of subjects on my mind, but I need to strengthen it on the long runs. I have found it too easy to just get dumb and happy and keep putting one foot in front of the other until the Garmin says stop.

I learned today that I shouldn't doubt anything about what Mel and I are doing together. We are amazing. She is amazing. And if it wasn't for her, I would still be on the couch.


Today we had our mid week run. 5 miles, at a long run effort. We kicked it up a notch and Mel set a goal of 5 miles in under an hour. It felt great. We weren't racing each other, but ourselves. Sure we dug deep, but man did we fly. It was like being a kid again and tearing down a hill. A little scary, but totally exhilarating.

Here are our stats, as always:


Happy running!
Mihkel

No comments: